Friday, September 16, 2016

These new digital modes......

I am very excited about the MMDVM and hope to get the boards soon to actually put this into a full test. I already have a ID-880h in my vehicle that I use for D-star and analog access to all the local repeaters in the area and my Allstar Link nodes.

Currently I am the only one in the area that uses D-Star and with my hot spot located actually on a tower on a mountain top I have great coverage with it.. usually I am on Reflector 1 Charlie (REF001c) and sometimes on REF030c.  D-Star never took off well in my area which is a shame as I really enjoy using D-Star.  I do enjoy using hf to talk with people around the world but sometimes propagation isn't in the best condition to support it, the use of the internet and digital modes just adds another layer of just what amateur operators can do, and the tech savvy part of me loves it.

There are also many Fusion repeaters in the area, thanks to Yaesu's nifty price offering for clubs to buy the new digital repeaters (as far as im concerned it was a very successful sales gimmick to sell radios and boost C4FM usage).   Both local clubs that I am members are now fusion capable and more going up in the area. So far none have the wiresX feature added, so there is no connect ability to other systems.   

Well with, this new modem and software it will be nice to play with my Yaesu FT1D handheld on some reflectors and just see what this puppy can do. 

Thankfully a fellow ham has a couple DMR radios that he is going to loan to me to do some DMR testing as well, When i built the D-star repeater last year he asked me if there was a solution for DMR yet as there was interest in that mode in the southern part of the state. Hopefully with MMDVM and some old radios we be able to set up some multi mode repeaters in the area that can an be multilingual  with D-star / DMR / C4FM / and now P25 that's in the works in the software...

No comments:

Post a Comment